If you’ve ever lived in a multi-generational family home, you’ll understand what we mean when we say it has its fair share of tough times. With differences of opinion and generational traits to deal with, the idea of cooking, cleaning and relaxing together every day can quite quickly become too much.
But despite arguments or tensions in the home, there are many reasons why living near to one another is the best option for multi-generational families. Which brings us to the granny flat.
Granny flats are an ideal, affordable solution for everybody. Here’s why.
For parents with teens or adult children who’ve not yet left the nest.
According to census data, almost 400,000 young adults are still settled in the family nest and have no foreseeable plans to move out. This number is increasing each year, with unaffordable buying prices and an unstable rental market in Australia’s capital cities enticing adult children to stay in their family home longer.
With the Budget 2018 swinging extra dollars towards elderly homeowners, there’s never been a better time to embrace the granny flat lifestyle.
- Ensure your adult children are financially stable before they are thrust out into the world of mortgages and high rental prices.
- Allow them to create their own picture-perfect mini home, just a stone’s throw away from family when they need it most.
- Earn your own rental money, by charging them an affordable rental fee.
For adult children with ageing/retired parents.
Retirement homes are slowly becoming a thing of the past. With new technology, i.e. medical alert pendants and alarms, allowing elderly people to retire safely and comfortably in their own home, the need for external care is not as prominent. Of course, for close-knit families, or families looking for a more affordable retirement solution, the granny flat is an ideal choice.
- Keep a close eye on your ageing parents, while also allowing them their own space to go about their daily routines.
- Save their retirement spendings for the more important things in life, like short vacations or trips to the beach.
- Maintain a healthier and happier relationship with your elderly parents, as you’re not stepping on each others’ toes all of the time.
These reasons, plus many others, summarise exactly why 2018 is the best year to build a granny flat. At Lifestyle Granny Flats, we specialise in building the most beautiful granny flat homes, customised to suit your family’s changing needs. Get in contact with us today to share your ideas and visions.
Looking to build a granny flat in Logan? Get in now, before the cost goes up on July 1!