Ballina Shire Council

In many regions of Northern NSW there are two options for building Granny Flats or secondary dwellings.  You must either comply with NSW’s Affordable Housing State Environmental Planning Policy (SEPP) or Ballina Council’s Development Control Plan (DCP).

A number of local councils are reducing the levies on building secondary dwellings if applications are lodged under the Council’s DCP. However, this is different for each council and if you don’t use the DCP and instead use the Affordable Housing SEPP then the levies will apply. Here are some examples where this might be the case:

  • If your home is on a small block of land
  • If you require an extra-large granny flat
  • If you require a Complying Development Certificate (ie. a 10-day turnaround time for development approval)

Disclaimer: Knowing that every site is different and each person’s requirements are unique, this information is a simplified summary of requirements for granny flat developments across many Northern Rivers Shire Councils.

State government and Local Authorities’ planning requirements are detailed and complex, however they must be followed in order to get development approval. A good place to start is to contact Ballina Shire Council and request a S149 Planning Certificate; this will have information on the planning controls and development restrictions that may apply for a particular site, or give us a call on 02 6680 8462 and we can lead you in the right direction.

The information contained herein should not be considered advice or take the place of direct consultation with the relevant authorities or qualified professionals.